Oscar de la Renta was hands down one of the classiest gentlemen in fashion. He passed away yesterday at the age of 82 due to complications from cancer. Last week as you remember he appointed Peter Copping as the new Creative Director of the brand in order to carry on the legacy of big, beautiful Hollywood worthy frocks and wedding gowns fitting for royalty. But we won’t just remember Mr. De la Renta for his countless elegant dresses that have become synonymous with the name, we will also remember him for his wit and insight with some of our favorite quotes by him.
1. Now is the most exciting time in fashion. Women are controlling their destiny now, the consumer is more knowledgeable, and I have to be better every single day.
2.“Fashion is about dressing according to what’s fashionable. Style is more about being yourself.”
3. “I don’t really know how to do casual clothes.”
4. “There is no sound more feminine than a woman in a taffeta dress.”
5. “You have to walk like you have three men walking behind you.”
6. “The qualities I most admire in women are confidence and kindness.”
7. “Dominos, bridge…I love to compete. And rules were made to be broken.”
8. “When I started, the woman went to the store to buy a dress. She saw it in pink and red, and then she remembered that the husband, who is probably going to pay for the dress, loves it in pink. So she buys the pink. Today, the same woman goes to the store and remembers the husband likes pink, and she buys the red.”
And of course how could we end this post without some dresses…